Novalesa Abbey and Saint Eldrado's procession



clicca sull'immagine dell'abbazia di Novalesa per ottenerne l'ingrandimentoJanuary 30, 726 the noble Franco Abbone founded the monastery of Novalesa dedicating to Saints Peter and Andrew. The community has developed considerably and becomes center of prayer, industriousness (agriculture, assistance to the pilgrims in transit) and culture (transcription of codes).

clicca sull'immagine dell'abbazia di Novalesa per ottenerne l'ingrandimentoThe most prosperous period is the ninth century, even for the great personality of its abbots, like Eldrado, venerated and later saint. Around 906, the monastery was attacked and destroyed by a band of Saracens. The monks are saved taking refuge in Turin, from which they pass into the Lomellina to build the monastery of Breme.After a few decades the villages of Val Cenischia, Ferrera, Venaus, Novalesa with its monastery, which has since state re-opened, are a species of small autonomous dioceses that will last for several centuries. In 1646 to the ancients Benedictine happen the Reformed Cistercians of St. Bernard who remain until 1798, when they are expelled from the Piedmont Provisional Government.

clicca sulla foto raffigurante il chiostro dell'abbazia di Novalesa per ottenerne l'ingrandimentoUnfortunately, following the suppression of the law of 29 May 1855 by the Piedmont government, the monks were forced to leave the abbey. The buildings put up for auction, are transformed into a hotel for spa, library awarded to the seminar, the manuscripts transferred to the archive of Turin state.
After various vicissitudes in 1972 the monastic complex was purchased by the Province of Turin, which entrusts it to the Benedictine monks coming from Venice. Life so begins to flourish again.


The buildings preserve traces of the past ages. The church built in the eighteenth century, on the foundations of the previous Romanesque, you notice residues of frescoes among which it is noteworthy the stoning of St Stephen (eleventh century). The two survivors of the cloister wings are of the sixteenth century.
Near the monastery, four chapels: Maria (VIII century with remaking of the XI), S. S .Salvatore mid-eleventh century), St. Michael (eighth and ninth centuries) and finally San Eldrado (and St. Nicholas) who It has two splendid fresco cycles (late eleventh century) with scenes from the life of the two saints.


Visit also the dedicate department: Thematic Books    


Saint Eldrado's procession


The first Sunday after March 13 we celebrate the patron S. Eldrado (Abbot of the Abbey of Novalesa in the year 900 'around). 

The ceremony begins at 9:30 am from the Parish Church, where foto raffigurante l'urna nella quale sono conservate le reliquie di San Eldrado the relics of the saint, in an urn of considerable weight are retained, (the carriers have a minimum of four strong people who alternate frequently with substitutes).


 The procession runs for about 2 Km to the Abbey entering the park and going over the paths traveled by the Saint alive, going before the chapel dedicated to him, and famous for its frescoes, to the vault of the Church of St. Peter and Andrew where the Holy Mass is celebrated.
 foto raffigurante delle donne in processione sul retro della cappella di San Eldradoclicca sulla foto scattata durante la processione di San Eldrado a Novalesa per ottenerne l'ingrandimento
clicca sulla foto scattata durante la processione di San Eldrado a Novalesa per ottenerne l'ingrandimentoclicca sulla foto raffigurante il momento del bacio della reliquia di San Eldrado per ottenerne l'ingrandimento 


Abbey of Novalesa
Frazione San Pietro
Tel. +39 (0)122653210
For more informations:


Visit also the dedicate department: Thematic Books