Votive Chapels

St. ROCCO’S Chapel

clicca sull'immagine della fotografia raffigurante la cappella votiva di San Rocco per ottenerne l'ingrandimentoThe village of San Rocco is the first village that we find climbing from Susa to Novalesa. In this town, it seems, there arose a first quarantine hospital around the Chapel of San Rocco, which during his illness he contracted assisting plague victims. It was assisted by a dog who daily brought him the necessary food consisting of a loaf.
Originally the chapel was smaller and then expanded to the needs outlined above, with a large stage for the men and the singers. Visited by
robbers is not much left, but considerable top two statues: on the left St. Rocco with the dog, at the center a representation of the Blessed Trinity and t At the center of 'fine apse the canvas where under the Virgin and Child with St. Roch and St. Sebastian's faithful dog.
On the left side wall a somewhat ruined canvas illustrates the death of St. Joseph.
Given the location and use the chapel had to be painted with scenes from the life of the saints, and sacred scenes illustrated by pilgrims grateful to be assisted during the journey to the holy places or to have easily surpassed the terrible pass of Mont Cenis


St. ANNA’S Chapel

clicca sull'immagine della fotografia raffigurante la cappella votiva di Sant'Anna per ottenerne l'ingrandimentoVotive chapel, probably built in 1400 on the site where an unwed mother had a vision. It was closed by a large wooden grate. In 1616, as you can read at the top on the central external beam, as a result of the religious wars, the subsequent counter-reformation and the influence of the religious orders (Benedettini and Cappuccini in Susa and Novalesa) the need for a new spirituality caused the chapel was equipped with a protection wall to the entry, creating the windows and the door. Inside, the side walls, two sets of the fifteenth century paintings, restored in very rough going over the colors in 1600.
High above the marble altar, the apse a niche containing a wooden sculpture representing the Virgin Mary with baby Jesus and St. Anne's work of a sculptor of 'high Moriana (1616). It overlooks the statue is a fresco depicting an angel.

To the right of the niche another fresco (votive) a sick person with the vision of San Fermin. In the top figure of a saint kneeling before the crucifix in the monastic habit (probably Dominican). To the left of the martyrdom of St. Agatha and the upper St. Roch kneeling before the crucifix. To the right a sequence of saints: the fresco of the first panel was completely lost and the plastered wall, the second represents Sta Caterina (Alexandria), then Sta Susanna, and after the cabinet recessed into a wall Holy cope with you no longer distinguish her face, but it has the name written in two ways: St. Clarius - St. Clair.
On top we can see a female figure in prayer, very damaged. Of which one is not able to give a name; follows a S.ta Francesca (Romana), the fresco ruined much of the purchaser of the same chapel, Sta Tecla and the cycle ends with a probable Sorrowful Virgin
To the left, always starting from the door a fresco fully covered, a second on St. Nicholas with vestments of bishops, the third is a St. John the Baptist, follows a St. George and the dragon and finally a St. Andrew.
At the top right side similarly to a virgin in a very ruined prayer, followed by the martyrdom of St. Sebastian, by the Archangel Michael, the martyrdom of St. Erasmus and closes the lunette a somewhat ruined fresco probably the Immaculate Virgin.
Always note inside two small capitals in the corners toward what was the oldest part outside.
Outside the top Annunciation with the angel, God the Father and the dove in the corner and the Virgin Mary. Pilasters there are still traces of frescoes, but only one can give the name: St. Rocco.
On the roof of the chapel a small bell "wind" when a small bell rings yet to gather the faithful to prayer



clicca sull'immagine della fotografia raffigurante la cappella votiva dell'Addolorata per ottenerne l'ingrandimentoThe Addolorata chapel is situated in the hamlet Borgetto and is not so old, according to the date and the inscription: "Antonio Chiapusso fecit faren 1754" under-the niche that houses the Virgin pierced by swords: "... And you yourself a sword will pierce your soul "... Luke 2,35. Antonio Chiapusso was mayor from January 1 to December 31, 1754.
The apse from right to left, including the time illustrates the passion and death of Jesus Christ and the center of the vault portrays the sheet of the Shroud.
Probably other frescoes illustrating the walls, both internal and external. The chapel is the destination of the Good Friday procession, of which the most important figure is the Christ carrying the Cross, but do not know the name of the person hiding under that dress white with cap. Currently the chapel in need of restoration (of the floor renovation and refurbishment of gutters to remove moisture from the walls, for better preservation of the frescoes). The bell tower to "wind" as for the other chapels.


clicca sull'immagine della fotografia raffigurante la cappella votiva di San Sebastiano per ottenerne l'ingrandimentoExisted as a function of the hospital, to give religious burial to the dead of the plague, they could not enter in the parish church and the wayfarers as a protector against the odds of nature. It was expanded in 1600 and was built a loft for the cantors and men in general. Although this was originally frescoed, probably with episodes of the Saint's life, but the negligence and wrong restorations have ruined them and lost forever. Remain on the apse wall the figures of St. John the Baptist, St. Maurizio, a Madonna and Child with two angels.
At the center there is an oil painting of St. Sebastian in the act of falling and studies. made you can date the work in 1600.
The façade was also painted, but time and weather have deleted these precious testimonies.
Now houses a wonderful PERMANENT CRIB visited all year round.



clicca sull'immagine della fotografia raffigurante la cappella votiva della Madonna del Rocciamelone per ottenerne l'ingrandimentoThe chapel of the Madonna of Rocciamelone was built in thanks after the vote formulated on 28 September 1944. The inauguration and laying of the Madonna in the chapel dedicated to her took place June 4, 1950.
"... June 26, 1944: Stained date of blood and strewn with many tears that Novalesa will never forget! ... Novalesa should be burned ... it is the voice that runs on everyone's lips. The Nazis do not want to listen to reason and they force everyone to leave our homes and we gather on the square brutally to this principle. and that endless day we spend as well, with a heart full of anguish, for our homes unattended ... at the end of twenty-five families a day are not their loved one, party, taken away by truck ... so here is the hope and the certainty that the heavenly Mother will help. and the twenty-five parties have come back. ".


 For more informations or guided:  contact us